Saturday, October 1, 2011

20 Questions with My KidMin Conference Friends



In a week I will be headed to Chicago for the very first Kidmin Conference hosted by Group. I am over the top excited to get together with others in Children's Ministry for this time of conversations and learning.

Several of my friends are speaking and I wanted to take this time to learn more about them and what they will be sharing at the conference.



Have you met Henry Zonio?
One of the things that I love about Henry is that he is so passionate about involving children in the big picture of being a missional church. I love how he has engaged so many in this conversation.

 Henry is the Assistant CM Director of 4th and 5th Grade at Menlo Park Presbyterian Church. He is also a grad student at San Jose State working on his M.A. in Sociology. 

Henry is also one of the co-founders and co-conspirators of What Matters Now in Children's Ministry. WMNCM exists to spark conversations that help move children's ministry forward and provide a platform for collaborative development of kidmin resources.

Here are Henry's answers to my 20 questions:

Rollercoaster or merry-go-round?
---Merry-go-round? Really? The crazier the rollercoaster the better!

Do you like your own handwriting?
---Sure, I guess so. I'd be scared my hand was out to get me if my handwriting didn't look like my handwriting.

What would your superpower be if you could choose one?
---I've always wanted to be like Spiderman... except without getting bitten by a spider. I hate spiders... go figure!

What is one of your favorite quotes?
---"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkkien

What do you collect?
---Information

What movie would your friends be surprised that you like?
---I'm pretty transparent, so I don't know

What are your favorite smells?
---chocolate and the smell after a spring rain

Coffee or Tea?
---Chai (real chai.. not that Oregon Chai nastiness)

What is the best thing you've ever eaten? (Where?)
---When it comes to food, I'm more of a homecooking person. My favorite dish is Portuguese-style octopus stew made with port wine.

What are you listening to right now?
---My younger daughter reading Magic Treehouse aloud and my youngest son pretending to be He-Man.

What career would you pursue in another life?
---Broadway!

What sound or noise do you love?
---My kids laughing

What sound or noise do you hate?
---fingernails on a chalkboard

Mountains or Beach?
---mountains when it's cool and a beach when it's warm

What is your favorite fairy tale or childhood story?
---Velveteen Rabbit

What would you tell the 13 year old you?
---You are awesome!

What is your favorite cereal?
---Frosted Mini Wheats

What book are you reading now?
---My sociology textbooks

What was your favorite toy as a child?
---GI Joe, Transformers and Voltron

Where did you spend your last family vacation?
---We did a staycation and went to the beach, waterpark, and hiking in the redwoods. I love living in CA!

Henry will be leading a workshop at the conference called Teaching Digital Learners. Here is a bit about what he will be sharing there.

Research makes it clear that the generation of children in our ministries today is vastly different from any other group of children the church has sought to reach. They engage and edit media, experiment with culture, and experience community in new ways. Discover the unique learning characteristics of today's kids and learn to leverage those characteristics in your ministry.

Find Henry and have a conversation with him. I promise that doing so will challenge you to think in new and exciting ways. You can learn more about Henry and from him on his blog and connect with him on Twitter.





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words, Wendy. Looking forward to getting together with you in just a few short days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article. Sounds like you Henry!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...