Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Answer to a 7 Year Prayer


Seven years ago this month we were displaced from our home due to a hurricane named Wilma. We made the decision to move back to Tennessee.
The hardest part for me was leaving my mom.



My mom and I are very close. She is one of my best friends. While living in Florida, we spent a lot of time together as we were only separated by a few miles. 
Moving so far away meant that wouldn't be possible anymore.
Our first Christmas here was the worst for me.
I was lonely for her and spent much of the holiday season in tears.

I began to take my hurt heart to God in prayer during this time. 
"Abba..." 
I asked for what I thought to be the impossible on a regular basis
...for my mom to move here to be with us.

Pray about everything. 
With thankful hearts offer up your prayers and requests to God.
Philippians 4:6

For seven years I prayed this one prayer.
Sometimes the prayer was in conversation, but other times it was a wail from deep within. Sometimes I couldn't even get the words out because it hurt so much.

When we don’t know what to pray for, 
the Spirit prays for us in ways that cannot be put into words.
Romans 8:26b

There were days that I wondered if my prayer was heard
 and other times I knew He was listening. 
I kept praying that one prayer. 
"Abba may I have her with me?"
There were times I begged, times I raged, and most times I wept. 
But I kept bringing this one prayer to Him through it all.

This is the confidence we have in approaching God: 
that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.
1 John 5:14 

A couple of months ago the answer to this seven year prayer began to happen. 
My mom called to let me know that she had made the decision to sell her house and move to Tennessee to be with us.
"Abba could this please be happening?"
Within a few weeks her house was sold and the plans were taking shape.

Jesus looked at them and said, 
“With man this is impossible, but not with God; 
all things are possible with God.”
Mark 10:27 

In a few weeks I will be travelling to Florida to bring my mom home with me.
Let me just write that again...
In a few weeks I will be travelling to Florida to bring my mom home with me.

I don't tell you this story to share the power of my prayer. 
No. 
I tell you to share the power of my Abba who answered my prayer.

He heard every word of every prayer for the last seven years.
He bent down to listen to them. 

Because he bends down to listen,
I will pray as long as I have breath!
Psalm 116:2

I share this with you to encourage you to keep praying that prayer.
Your prayer.
Never. Stop. Praying.

Always be joyful and never stop praying. 
Whatever happens, keep thanking God because of Jesus Christ. 
This is what God wants you to do.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Today I am thankful for the answer to a seven year prayer.
"Oh Abba...thank you. Thank you. Thank you." 


52 comments:

  1. OH this makes me so happy for you!! Brings me to tears. What a beautiful post. Thank you for linking up and sharing how amazing our God is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you! God has been teaching both of us much about prayer this year. He hears, He sees, He answers! He is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much friend! Oh my yes He has! And yes He does! And yes He is...so good! Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. All the time friend! All the time! Blessings!

      Delete
  4. So happy for you! God indeed is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God is so good! I am always encouraged when I see Him move in people's lives. :). Seriously, when I first saw the picture I thought she was your sister! Beautiful set of gals!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes He is friend! I have always loved hearing stories like this. What a blessing it is to be able to tell one. Thank you so much! Will definitely tell my mom you said so...she will be thrilled. :) Blessings!

      Delete
  6. What a blessing! I am fortunate to have my mom here in the area, but my best friend has moved to St. Louis (8 hours away) where her husband is associate pastor. I am praying they will move back to PA soon. It always seems like a long shot, but maybe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that you live so close to your mom! I say keep praying about your friend being closer. God can do anything! Blessings!

      Delete
  7. First...you and your mom look like sisters...you need to tell her that...she will love it:)...what a sweet story...so thankful that you all will be close again...I wrote today about my dad and i...as He moved here...God continued to heal our relationship. It sounds like you and your mom already have a good relationship and I pray for an even deepen one as you live close again. Where in Tennessee do you live...I live in Tn myself...just south of Nashville~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you friend. I will definitely tell my mom you said that and I know that she will be thrilled. :) I live in Seymour which is in between Knoxville and Sevierville. How close are you? Blessings!

      Delete
  8. Wow! What a testimony! God bless you for being consistent in your prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! He is a good and faithful God! Blessings!

      Delete
  9. Love this! So glad that your prayer was answered! Shows that God has His own timeline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sar! Yes if I could just learn to be more patient for His timing sometimes. Blessings!

      Delete
  10. Yay! This is so exciting! God does answer prayer-not because of us, but because of Him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely story! So encouraging (& inspiring!). I found you through Desire to Inspire and I'm so glad I did :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ashley! So glad you found me too! Looking forward to getting to know you more! Blessings!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful - the love between your mother and you - and these words,"I don't tell you this story to share the power of my prayer. No. I tell you to share the power of my Abba who answered my prayer." Joining with you in praising God! Thank you for sharing! (Visiting from Thought Provoking Thursday)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining me in praising Him for an answered prayer Cherry! Blessings!

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful testimony!! Thanks for sharing. :)
    God does answer prayer we just need to be persistent and patient.

    Blessings
    <><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Persistence like the widow. Blessings!

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Amen sister-friend! To Him be ALL the glory! Blessings!

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks Tereasa! It's wonderful news and I am so happy to share it here! Blessings!

      Delete
  16. What wonderful news! I am very close to my mom as well, so I know you're delighted!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So very excited for you! You look just like your mother!

    Thank you for linking up your favorite post to Sunday's Raising Imperfection Link Up!
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured!

    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lanaya! Blessed to linkup with you!

      Delete
  18. So excited for you that your mom will be close again.

    Thanks for linking up to Raising Imperfection!
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. How wonderful! Thank you for sharing this testimony with the Thrive @ Home community.

    ReplyDelete
  20. {tears} I'm so happy for you. This is so encouraging and gives me hope for my 7-year-prayers. Love how you wound the Scriptures all in. Proven promises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Standing on His promises with you sweet friend! Blessings!

      Delete
  21. God is faithful and interested in our heart cries. All praise to Him for meeting your needs after what must have seemed like a very long seven years! Praise God!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praising Him with you friend! He is so very good! Blessings!

      Delete
  22. What a sweet story, and a wonderful reminder he cares about our wants and needs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. yay, for answered prayers! so thankful you shared your story in our link up this week. we are blessed by your faith

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, what an incredible Father!!! Thank you for sharing your story:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...