Thursday, May 17, 2012

Purpose Driven Kids




Recently. I have been listening to Rick Warren’s latest series on Raising Amazing Kids. this past week’s message was all about Purpose Driven Kids. In this message he shared the five truths that we need to help our children understand and believe about themselves along with five questions that we need to help them ask and answer.

1. I was planned for God’s pleasure.

What will be the center of my life?

2. I was formed for God’s family.

Who will be my companions in life?

3. I was created to become like Christ.

What will be my character?

4. I was shaped to serve God.

What will be my contribution?

5. I was made for a mission.

What will be my life message?

One of the things that he shared that really stood out for me was “As parents we are responsible TO our children, but not FOR our children.” He went on to say that we are responsible to love, teach, and encourage our kids, but are not responsible for the decisions that they make. He made the point that Adam had a perfect Father in God, yet still sinned.

Rick Warren then shared this poem by Edgar Guest.

I’d rather see a sermon
than hear one any day;
I’d rather one should walk with me
than merely tell the way.
The eye’s a better pupil
and more willing than the ear,
Fine counsel is confusing,
but example’s always clear;
And the best of all preachers
are the men who live their creeds,
For to see good put in action
is what everybody needs.
I soon can learn to do it
if you’ll let me see it done;
I can watch your hands in action,
but your tongue too fast may run.
And the lecture you deliver
may be very wise and true,
But I’d rather get my lessons
by observing what you do;
For I might misunderstand you
and the high advice you give,
But there’s no misunderstanding
how you act and how you live.

You can hear this message along with the others in the Raising Amazing Kids series here: http://www.saddleback.com/mc/archives/

So, what are you doing to live your message out in front of the kids you have influence over? Is the Gospel that you present to them merely words or demonstrated in action, thought and deed? Are you the model of Christ that your kids need to see?

Originally shared at Kidmin1124.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...