My second breakout was How to Engage Kids in Worship with Yancy. She really is a rock star, but not just because she can sing and play a guitar. She loves what she does and loves the kids she wants so much to reach with her music for the Lord. I especially love her heart for preteens. I took 3 pages of notes and could've listened to her share for hours on this topic.
Here are just some of what she had to say:
What does your music sound like?
- ask your kids for feedback
- boys like rock and roll
- sometimes you have to let a song take a vacation
- throw hokiness out the window
- what are your kids listening to?
- introduce new songs
Who do you have onstage leading worship?
- should be someone your 6th grade boys would esteem to be like
- what do they look like?
- make a list of your worship team needs and pray for them
- teach your team to build relationships with the kids
- do they look like they're having fun?
- do they have authority?
What are you teaching about worship?
- should be teaching on why and how we worship
- each week give a little nugget - scripture
- prepare - The annointing doesn't make up for lack of preparation.
- speak clearly
- be energetic - vocal inflection is your accelerator
- be bold
- be consistant
- dont hide behind the microphone and music stand
- make eye contact
- give vocal instructions
- be creative in song choices
- problem solve and evaluate