Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Fear or Faith?

I love when God leads me to something He really wants me to get in His Word. So the other morning, I was not sure really where to begin in my quiet time and just opened to Matthew 14:25-33. These are the verses that jumped out at me.

But instantly Jesus spoke to them, saying, "Take courage! I AM! Stop being afraid!" And Peter answered Him, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water." He said, "Come!" So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water, and he came toward Jesus. But when he perceived and felt the strong wind, he was frightened, and as he began to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me [from death]!" Instantly Jesus reached out His hand and caught and held him, saying to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"

So we all have heard the story of Jesus walking on water. But God opened my eyes to something new reading it this time. You see I have always seen the part where Jesus calls Peter to come to Him and walk with Him on water. And I have always seen the part where Peter loses focus on Jesus and starts to sink as he became afraid. The revelation God had in store for me was after all that. Jesus reached out His hand and caught and held Peter. That was what God wanted me to see that morning. That I can trust Him to reach out and catch me if I fall when I am following Him.

So that first step out of the boat can sometimes be a doozy, but I look forward every day for the opportunity to follow where God is leading knowing that He will be there for me every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...