Thursday, January 17, 2013

Prodigal Grace



I have read the parable of the prodigal son in Luke 15 many times over the years. Each time I identified with the son, but never with the father. I have always thought of the story as it compares to my relationship with God. This morning I began to consider how the prodigal's father isn't just an example of the parent that God is to me, but how I should be parenting as well.

The prodigal's father didn't argue with his son or try to change his mind when he asked for his inheritance and left in rebellion. It must have broken his heart to see his son going down that road knowing the struggle that was to come for him. How hard those days of waiting for his return must have been.

When his son returned with a repentant heart, he didn't give a lecture on making right choices, but celebrated his return. And not a cake and balloons kind of party either. It was a moment that called for the best of everything. He brought out his finest robe, jewelry and sandals and had the grandest banquet prepared. He opened his arms to his son with such love and compassion.

As a mother I want to protect my sons from making mistakes and then suffering the consequences of those choices. But in doing that am I keeping them from life lessons? And when they do make mistakes do I offer them grace or condemnation?

I so want them to witness that same grace in my response as the prodigal experienced with his father. For them to know deep in their hearts that nothing they could do will ever make me love them less. That my arms are always open and grace will always be offered.

Sometimes our children will have to travel the harder road and we will have to let them go. Our part in their story becomes that of the prodigal parent...waiting their return and greeting them with open arms.
Prodigal grace.



Grace is my One Word for 2013.
God has been whispering to my heart about grace so much already this year.
What has He been whispering to yours?

14 comments:

  1. LOVE this Wendy! We have lived this... been stretched by it and amazed by it! I have to say it is much easier to give prodigal grace when our kids return and are truly repentant... it's tough to have patience in faith and wait for them to get to that point at times, but well worth it because the Grace is so much easier to give when their heart is broken and they are open to the healing and forgiveness that is needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karrilee! We have too lived it friend. So hard. Stretched me as a mom more than anything I have experienced so far. Blessings!

      Delete
  2. I cannot help but believe that you are that kind of Mother right now, Wendy! One who gives unconditional love to all of her boys in all-ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Paula you are so sweet. It is something I know that God is working on in me. Blessings!

      Delete
  3. You know, this is a story that I often connect with to - but I relate more to the brother who stayed home. I have to remind myself that there is joy in the return & instead of being jealous I should be joyous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Emily I know that feeling as well. What a good word...to have joy in the return. Thanks for sharing your heart. Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Dear Wendy
    I also started to understand this parable quite differently than before. To me it is now more a parable of the love of the Father, than about the return of the wayward son! Glad I saw your link at Emily's.
    Hugs to you
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mia what a wonderful story of grace from every angle. That of the father and the sons. Love & hugs friend!

      Delete
  5. What lovely perspective in this post, the way you applied the fathers responses to your own parenting. A lesson for all of us. Thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I really enjoyed reading this perspective on the father! It is exactly what I have been dealing with regarding my daughters. I want to save them from hurt but I am hurting them in the process because they are not growing from their pain. I am going to reread this in my bible again. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I totally get the struggle in wanting to protect them but also wanting them to learn and grow from their choices. Such a fine line to walk friend. Blessings!

      Delete
  7. Living this right now! It's so hard, but so necessary! Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Deborah I know how hard it is. Lifting you up to Him tonight as you walk this path. Blessings!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...