Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Kids Just Believe




One of the things I love about serving with children is that they just believe.

When you tell them the story of Jonah they don't doubt that it happened. They don't analyze how it could've happened. They just believe. Now they might ask how big the fish was or what Jonah ate while he was in the fish, but very rarely will they question how it was possible.

The same goes for when you tell them the other stories in the Bible, from Noah and the ark to Jesus healing the blind with spit and dirt. They don't question how. They just believe.

I was thinking about this driving home from church this past Sunday after hearing the prayers of my small group girls. One of my girls prayed this prayer...
"Jesus give me the words & help me be brave to tell my grandpa about you. I want him to love you too."
She really believes that God will place the exact words in her mouth and will place in her the courage to share Jesus with someone she loves. Then there are the prayer requests for healing they whisper during this time and I am humbled at the belief that resonates through their words. They just believe.

We adults can learn so much from the faith of our children. Praying prayers that are bold and full of belief. Standing on the promises that God gives in His word.
To just believe.

At about the same time, the disciples came to Jesus asking, "Who gets the highest rank in God's kingdom?"

For an answer Jesus called over a child, whom he stood in the middle of the room, and said, "I'm telling you, once and for all, that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you're not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God's kingdom. What's more, when you receive the childlike on my account, it's the same as receiving me.
Matthew 18:1-5

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...