I am a firm believer in both having a mentor and being one as well. I think we should all have a Paul and Timothy in our lives.
For the last year I have been mentoring a couple of girls and it has been such a wonderful beginning in our journey together.
Here is what it looks like:
- They have complete access to me which means they have both my home and cellphone numbers which they can use at any time to call or text.
- We talk on a weekly basis about everything from family to school to faith. This is usually a phone call but once in awhile it will be in person.
- I commit to praying for them daily. They will share prayer requests during our conversations or ones they send randomly throughout the week.
- We have a date day or night every month. I will usually let them pick what they would like to do during this time together.
- We commit to do a Bible reading plan together. This may be one chosen from YouVersion or a special Bible study.
Mentoring for me is also a partnership with parents and the opportunity to be someone to come alongside them as an additional voice in their daughter's life. In order to do this, communication with the parents of the girls that I mentor is necessary, so I will have conversations with them on a regular basis.
I can't even tell you what a blessing it has been to be a part of these girls' lives. Over the past year we have laughed and cried together. We have learned so much and prayed big prayers together. We have had such a blast together and I so look forward to what God has in store for us in the years to come together.