Friday, June 22, 2012

Being a Mentor




I am a firm believer in both having a mentor and being one as well. I think we should all have a Paul and Timothy in our lives.

For the last year I have been mentoring a couple of girls and it has been such a wonderful beginning in our journey together.

Here is what it looks like:
  • They have complete access to me which means they have both my home and cellphone numbers which they can use at any time to call or text.
  • We talk on a weekly basis about everything from family to school to faith. This is usually a phone call but once in awhile it will be in person.
  • I commit to praying for them daily. They will share prayer requests during our conversations or ones they send randomly throughout the week.
  • We have a date day or night every month. I will usually let them pick what they would like to do during this time together.
  • We commit to do a Bible reading plan together. This may be one chosen from YouVersion or a special Bible study.
Mentoring for me is also a partnership with parents and the opportunity to be someone to come alongside them as an additional voice in their daughter's life. In order to do this, communication with the parents of the girls that I mentor is necessary, so I will have conversations with them on a regular basis.

I can't even tell you what a blessing it has been to be a part of these girls' lives. Over the past year we have laughed and cried together. We have learned so much and prayed big prayers together. We have had such a blast together and I so look forward to what God has in store for us in the years to come together.



8 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm a new follower from Book Blogs! I love your blog, it seems like you are helping a lot of people!

    I would love a follow back, my blog is: http://endlessdaysofbooks.blogspot.com/

    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Candace!
    Thanks so much for your sweet compliment and for visiting my blog! Followed you as well and look forward to getting to know you better!
    Blessings,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower to your blog! It's so great what you do for the kids! At least now you have the opportunity to brighten two more girls lives. :)
    Charlene
    http://bookishwhimsy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the follow Charlene and the sweet compliment! I am really looking forward to the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again! I've awarded you the Liebster Blog Awards! More details here on my blog post. Feel free to accept or not, I know some people are busy. :)

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you have been a great mentor! I love that you have such a big heart and positive attitude! New follower from bloggy moms, I look forward to your future posts!

    http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ann! Excited to join everyone over at bloggy moms. I noticed on your blog that we're both stay at home mommas to boys. Looking forward to getting to know you :)
      Blessings!

      Delete
  6. How fun that we wrote about the same thing today! I'm excited to see how God uses this mentoring relationship!

    Thanks for linking up with WIP Wednesday!
    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...