Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Slice of Orange



My first slice of Orange was a breakout with Sue Miller called Volunteer Meets Parent. 

One of the things that I love about Sue is that she not only speaks from the experience of doing small groups, but she always shares how small group leaders have impacted her family. She shared about how her grandson loves his small group leader and looks forward to seeing him every week. She also shared how a small group leader poured into her son during a very difficult time as a teenager.

She talked about how important it is for small group leaders to build trust with parents. Too often parents can look at us and ask themselves if we are judge or friend. They don't want to partner with someone that makes them feel bad as a parent.

Unique words that a volunteer can say to build that trust:
  • I get to do this!
  • Your son/daughter is amazing!
  • I want you to win as a family!
  • What is the best way for me to partner with you?
  • Let's ask God to transform your student this year.


The goal for me as a small group leader is not only building a relationship with the child I lead, but also with their family as well. With each interaction I have with their family, I want them to walk away knowing that I love their child and that I want to partner with them by being that additional voice in the life of their child.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...