Doing this series on Wednesdays gives me an opportunity to share what I am reading. This may vary from week to week as I tend to read multiple books at a time.
The Seven Principles of Servant Leadership
- Servant leaders humble themselves and wait for God to promote them. (based on Luke 14:7-11)
- Servant leaders follow Jesus rather than seek a position. (based on Mark 10:32-40)
- Servant leaders give up personal rights to find greatness in service to others. (based on Mark 10:41-45)
- Servant leaders can risk serving others because they know God is in control of their lives. (based on John 13:3)
- Servant leaders take up Jesus' towel of service to meet the needs of others. (based on John 13:4-11)
- Servant leaders share their responsibility and authority with others to meet a greater need. (based on Acts 6:1-6)
- Servant leaders multiply their leadership by empowering others to lead. (based on Exodus 18:17-23)
This is probably my favorite book on leadership that I have read to date. There is something about learning leadership from how Jesus led his disciples rather than from a leadership book that is geared towards business. I love how the author has broken each principle down and shows the scripture each one is based on. As each week passes in this study with my mentor, I feel challenged in how I lead at home and in ministry.
What are you reading right now?