Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What I'm Reading


I have started a new series on Wednesdays that will give me an opportunity to share what I am reading. This may vary from week to week as I tend to read multiple books at a time.


One of the books that I'm reading now
is The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller.

Everyone knows the story of the son who took his inheritance and left the father to only come back broken and received by his father with open arms.

The author talks about how this isn't just a story about a lost son, but the story of two lost sons. He brings up the fact that the son who stayed behind with the father out of duty rather than love was also lost.

He really made me think when he said that the son stayed out of obligation and used his obedience as manipulation. We all tend to travel back and forth between the actions of the two sons. Sometimes we are the son who thought he knew better than the father and tried to do it alone and sometimes we are the son who thinks that if we just behave the way we are expected to that we will be rewarded with what we want. Either way we are trying to control the outcome by disobedience or obedience for the wrong reasons.

This is the first book by Timothy Keller that I have read and I am really enjoying his thought provoking style of writing.

What are you reading right now?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...